Monday, September 2, 2013

"The Good Short Life" by Dudley Clendinen Analysis

"But we don't talk about how to die. We act as if facing death weren't one of life's greatest,
most absorbing thrills and challenges. Believe me, it is. This is not dull." (Clendinen 64)
Image credit goes to artist Ferdinand Hodler
Dudley Clendinen passed away in May 2012 at the age of 67, after a career of writing about societal problems and civil rights. During his final two years, he had been suffering from the neurodegenerative Lou Gehrig's disease, also known as ALS. In his piece "The Good Short Life" he writes about his desire to commit suicide instead of living through the roughest period of his disease. In his essay Clendinen wishes to make readers understand why a terminally ill person would want to end their life on their own terms, to show that doing so it not a disregard for the people in their life. He also addresses that no one thinks about how to die, even though they think about everything else. Clendinen’s piece is also not difficult to read or understand. For all of these reasons, this essay is truly meant for anyone, as everyone is going to die one day and should think about how they want it to happen.

Clendinen uses quite a bit of narration in order to give his readers some background about his life. When telling about receiving the news about his illness, he writes, “When the neurologist gave me the diagnosis that November, he shook my head hand with a cracked smile and released me to the chill, empty parking lot below… I’m not prepared for this, I thought.” (Clendinen 64). He writes a lot about his own thoughts so that the reader understands his choice to take his own life. In the beginning of the essay Clendinen also defines his disease, in case it is unknown or unfamiliar to the reader. He writes about Lou Gehrig, the baseball player for which the disease is named, the symptoms, and which type of ALS he has. Both of these rhetorical strategies make it easier for the reader to connect to Clendinen and therefore to see why he wants to take his own life. Despite this, Clendinen would not achieve his purpose with all readers. Those who do not believe in suicide or in harming oneself in any way would never agree with him; only open-minded ones, or those who are terminally ill or know someone who is, would understand.

8 comments:

  1. I want to use these opportunity to tell everyone about Dr Oseiboh, he can cure a lot of diseases and he can also cast a lovespell to bring back ex lover. Contact him today and get your problems solved. I was fully cured by him out of LUPUS and he also bring back my ex who has left me over 4 years i must say a big thanks to Dr Oseiboh because he works excellently and reliable. you can also contact him on.. Whatssapp/call +2347017565415 or email via:droseiboh12@gmail.com he can also cure any virus.  HIV/AIDS, DIABETES, CANCER, HEPATITIS, ALS, HERPES, HPV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to use this opportunity to thank this great holy man called Priest Babaka for what he has done for me and my family. This great man has brought happiness and joy back again to me and my family. Priest Babaka has used his great power to help me bring back my husband within the period of 48 hours and also helped me in getting pregnant with his powerful prayers and after 7 days of applying his herbs.This is more than words can say, at first i didn't believe it but today it is so true and all thanks goes to him. i will advice every one out there that has a similar issue, and also any one who is willing to get his or her lover back and any one who wants to get pregnant quick to contact this wonderful man today and forever remain happy in life. email: babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was married at 32 and immediately tried to get pregnant. When I was unable to conceive I had blood tests for fertility and was told that I had an FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) of 54 and would not be able to have children. Even though the doctors knew that I had been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis since age 25, no one bothered to check my thyroid levels. my TSH was measured at .001. My Synthroid dosage was lowered. a friend advise me to contact a spiritualist who help with fertility with his medicine, i collected his contact and explain my situation to him he prepared for me a herbal medicine which i took as describe by him. became pregnant very quickly, I had a successful pregnancy. I have my baby august 2017. to get pregnant at age 35 with my 2nd child in september 2019, thank you sir , this is his email contact if you require his help babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stopped ALS(Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) medicines prescribed due to severe side effects, and decided to go on natural herbal approach. My neighbour introduced me to Kykuyu Health Clinic and i immediately started on their ALS herbal formula treatment. This herbal treatment has made a tremendous difference for me. My symptoms including muscle weakness, stiff muscles, muscle spasms, difficulty speaking, fatigue, difficulty swallowing, all disappeared after six weeks treatment! visit kykuyuhealthclinic . com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband ALS stopped after we completed him on the Tree of Life clinic herbal supplement which includes his weakness in his right arm and his speech, , visit w w w. treeoflifeherbalclinic .com they are the best,

    ReplyDelete
  7. I contacted herpes' I was told there is no herpes cure except treatment to
    control it. I totally lost hope. All I could think was losing my life it
    was so embarrassing to have this virus, few weeks ago I ready about a
    possible natural herbs cure which was guaranteed. And I ordered the natural
    herbs treatment from Dr voodoo after some weeks I got 100? cure. Now I'm so
    excited to share this testimony contact Dr voodoo WhatsApp number
    +2348140120719 also e-mail him at: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete